A US ESTA is an Electronic System for Travel Authorisation to travel to the United States. It is the equivalent to a visa, but no stamp or label is placed in your passport. To be eligible you must hold a passport from one of these countries. See all countries.
The Fastest and Easiest Way to Get a US ESTA
- With CIBTvisas, you can apply anytime and you will receive an email from CIBTvisas notifying you once your ESTA has been issued.
ESTA's can take up to 72 hours to be authorised by the US Dept. of Homeland Security.
You must apply for an ESTA at least 72 hours before travel.
- Once an ESTA is issued it is valid for 2 years or until your passport expires, (whichever is sooner) and will allow multiple entries into the US.
When travelling on an ESTA you must:
- Hold a Return/Onward ticket with a major Airline/Cruise company that is registered for ESTA’s
- Not be staying for more than (up to a maximum of) 90 days including Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean Islands
- Have not had any previous violations of the USA Immigration Law (i.e. overstaying the 90 day period)
Important Requirements For ESTA Applicants
- If you are a US Citizen and hold dual nationality with a Visa Waiver Program country you are not required to have an ESTA. You must use your US passport to travel to the USA.
- Please note: following recent changes under the Terrorist Travel Prevention Act, nationals of VWP countries who have visited: Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia or Yemen on or after March, 2011 are no longer eligible to apply for an ESTA.
- Nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of Iraq, Sudan or Syria are also not eligible for an ESTA.
- As of April 1, 2016, to qualify for an ESTA you must have a passport containing an integrated chip and display the universal e-passport symbol on the front cover (as shown below).
Benefits of Using CIBTvisas
- Live Assistance. If you have questions regarding your application a CIBTvisas specialist is available to help via phone or email.
- Automated System Updates. If your application for an ESTA is not instantly approved our systems will automatically check for approval on the traveler’s behalf and notify the traveler when approval has been issued.
- Immediate Email Comfirmation. CIBTvisas will automatically email travelers who receive immediate confirmation with the reference number via email that is saved for future reference. This keeps a secure electronic record of all personal information with the ESTA.
CIBTvisas is not part of the US government. The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issues decisions for all ESTA applications. You can apply for an ESTA directly through the DHS website, however you will not benefit from the CIBTvisas services listed above.
Not from an eligible country?
Travellers holding a passport from all other countries must apply directly to the US Embassy for a visa to enter the United States.
For information regarding both non-immigrant and immigrant U.S. visas, please visit the U.S. Embassy website